Skip to main content

Followers

Proud Momma of an Eagle Scout - and All Things Jack

This weekend, my son Jack, achieved Eagle Scout status.  We held an Eagle Court of Honor to honor him and his friend, David, and their accomplishments.  The whole thing seems like an out of body experience - I know, that sounds a bit dramatic - but let me explain and give a bit of history here.

Every summer for the last two years, Jack has taught at a scout camp called Camp Kickthawenund.  While this camp is ultimately only about a thirty (30) minute drive from home, it feels like he is across the world.  This is not my favorite time of year.

Jack is my baby boy.  Once, while riding his bike, he came upon a mound of ants on the sidewalk.  Jack stopped his bike (training wheels kept him upright - thank goodness for that), lifted his legs onto the handlebars of his bike, and began screaming uncontrollably....not the reaction this mother, nor any of the other mothers on the playground, expected!  Jack was my baby boy that would take his light saber to the health department when it was time for vaccinations.  The light saber was to help fight off the nurses that would give him his shots!  Now, he is driving himself to work at a camp where ants are the least of his worries.  He tells me stories of mice, rabid racoons, snakes, crazy stunts - all these while I am not there to protect him from those ants, and he certainly forgot his light saber!!! 

I knew "about" these people that he works with at camp, and I know from how Jack talks about his days at camp that he LOVES his time there.  However, until his Eagle Court of Honor, I don't think I truly understood much about this other world he lives in during his Summers.   

I sat and listened at the Eagle Court of Honor as people I have never met told stories about my son.... MY SON.....stories that I had never heard, did not know, or had not been a part of.  I heard from other people about the impact my son has had on countless scouts, families, and people, some of whom I have met, and some of whom I will never meet.  

Am I a bit jealous?  Yes!  Of course!  I miss him during the Summers.  I hate that everyone else gets him during the Summer except me.  But do I see now how much these people on camp staff love him - now I do!  Do I hear about what an admirable young man he has become and influenced others?  I do now.  It's one thing to think your son is doing good.  It's something else entirely to hear about the good he has done.  He has found a place among these people to be Jack White.  This is no longer Jack White - destined to be eaten by ants and light saber wielder at the health department.  This is Jack White - leader of others, friend to many, example to all.

Next year, he will leave this house to head off to college....no longer just a Summer away, but a start to a lifetime away.  I have to be honest - I am not looking forward to next year.  

Jack has always looked out for his momma.  He knows when I am sad.  He recognizes when something might be physically challenging for me and helps me out.  We go on shopping trips and walks together and talk about life.  He gets me.  He mentally drains me - but he gets me!  But, after this weekend's Eagle Court of Honor, I see what a difference he has already made in this world.  I can see now that God has great things planned for him... plans to prosper him and not to harm him.  

How can I keep all of Jack's greatness to myself.  I think its time to share him.  And so I think.....can a girl do this? .... well, give me a bit more time...I know the answer in my head...my heart is just not there yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesecake Facials

 Today was day three (3) of the celebrations leading up to Boo's birthday.  I tried to think of one word that would describe it.  Messy - yes, that describes it, but it does not really explain the fun we had.  Crazy - well, that describes just about everything we do in my family.  Let's see if I can't tell the story and come up with a better word by the end of it. Moms are constantly put on the spot.  The plan going into today was to wake up, enjoy a nice cup of coffee and watch the sunrise over the lake, and then go our separate ways to school and work.  Well .... NOTE TO REDHEAD - there is a difference between the time for dawn and the time for sunrise , a fact which might have been overlooked by someone when scheduling this morning's celebrations.  Therefore, we aborted the original plans.   Jack and Boo came up with every crazy idea in the book to replace the original plan, and then tried to convince me each of their new ideas was a good idea.  Actually, come to th

Beauty and the Beastie

 One of my passions is definitely running.  It always has been .... always will be.  I put my headphones in and head off into nature to see what adventures await.  I find new trails and learn new ways to get from point a to point b - things I never would have learned without this time away.  It's also my time to connect with God next level style.  This morning, my German Shepherd woke at what I call the "bootie crack of dawn."  That phrase definitely hearkens back to my stricter days of religion where I was not allowed to say words like "butt" .... because "bootie crack" sounds so much more pleasant.  Please - don't ask for the logic - I have not found it.   My German Shepherd is officially named Mulan, after a Disney character, like all animals in my house.  She is about ten months old now, and we rescued her when she was three months.  One of her baby canines chipped and she needed surgery, so the breeder cut his losses and donated her to a local