Skip to main content

Followers

Beauty and the Beastie

 One of my passions is definitely running.  It always has been .... always will be.  I put my headphones in and head off into nature to see what adventures await.  I find new trails and learn new ways to get from point a to point b - things I never would have learned without this time away.  It's also my time to connect with God next level style. 

This morning, my German Shepherd woke at what I call the "bootie crack of dawn."  That phrase definitely hearkens back to my stricter days of religion where I was not allowed to say words like "butt" .... because "bootie crack" sounds so much more pleasant.  Please - don't ask for the logic - I have not found it.  

My German Shepherd is officially named Mulan, after a Disney character, like all animals in my house.  She is about ten months old now, and we rescued her when she was three months.  One of her baby canines chipped and she needed surgery, so the breeder cut his losses and donated her to a local rescue.  I say we rescued her, but in some ways she has rescued me and my family. 

Mulan brings so much joy - and additional chaos - into this home.  More recently, she has become affectionately termed Beastie.  If you are a fan of Disney movies, you will recognize this as Maleficent's nickname for Aurora in the live action film - Maleficent.  See - while Mulan brings joy, she has definitely required a lot of work.  German Shepherds are stubborn, strong-willed dogs that require constant mental stimulation.  WAIT - for a second I was not sure if I was writing about my dog or me - stubborn, strong-willed, constant mental stimulation......yep!

Beastie and I like to run together on occasion, and this morning was no exception.  The weather was beautiful for stretching our legs!  One thing to know about Beastie?  She is afraid of a LOT of things - sprinklers, lawn mowers, cars, garden hoses.  In fact - garden hoses are going to kill us all - in case you did not know.  Once, when she was younger, we were on a run..... there were killer sprinklers on both sides of the street.... and Beastie went spiraling in the middle of the road uncontrollably.  I laugh now - I did not laugh then.  Beastie requires constant reassurance on our walks that she is safe and that I am going to protect her from the ferocious lawn mowers that lurk around every corner - as ridiculous as this might sound.  And you know what?  I am more than happy to reach down and tell her everything is going to be ok.

I liken this to my spiritual walk with God.  As ridiculous as my fears may seem, He is always reminding me that He is there protecting me.  Often times my fear is ridiculous, like Beastie's ferocious lawn mowers.  Sometimes my fear is very real, like Beastie's truck that's gonna get hit her.  Either way, He is there - loving, protecting, and comforting. This brings to mind one of my favorite verses in the Bible - Joshua 1:9 - Have not I commanded thee?  Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee withersoever thou goest. KJV.  People come and go, but God is with us wherever we go - every mountain, every valley, every difficult life circumstance that is set before you.

This was my insight from my morning run today!

In this story - I get to be Beauty.  In my life story - I am definitely the Beastie - but with God, a girl can do this - even if she is a Beastie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesecake Facials

 Today was day three (3) of the celebrations leading up to Boo's birthday.  I tried to think of one word that would describe it.  Messy - yes, that describes it, but it does not really explain the fun we had.  Crazy - well, that describes just about everything we do in my family.  Let's see if I can't tell the story and come up with a better word by the end of it. Moms are constantly put on the spot.  The plan going into today was to wake up, enjoy a nice cup of coffee and watch the sunrise over the lake, and then go our separate ways to school and work.  Well .... NOTE TO REDHEAD - there is a difference between the time for dawn and the time for sunrise , a fact which might have been overlooked by someone when scheduling this morning's celebrations.  Therefore, we aborted the original plans.   Jack and Boo came up with every crazy idea in the book to replace the original plan, and then tried to convince me each of their new ideas was a good idea.  Actually, come to th

Proud Momma of an Eagle Scout - and All Things Jack

This weekend, my son Jack, achieved Eagle Scout status.  We held an Eagle Court of Honor to honor him and his friend, David, and their accomplishments.  The whole thing seems like an out of body experience - I know, that sounds a bit dramatic - but let me explain and give a bit of history here. Every summer for the last two years, Jack has taught at a scout camp called Camp Kickthawenund.  While this camp is ultimately only about a thirty (30) minute drive from home, it feels like he is across the world.  This is not my favorite time of year. Jack is my baby boy.  Once, while riding his bike, he came upon a mound of ants on the sidewalk.  Jack stopped his bike (training wheels kept him upright - thank goodness for that), lifted his legs onto the handlebars of his bike, and began screaming uncontrollably....not the reaction this mother, nor any of the other mothers on the playground, expected!  Jack was my baby boy that would take his light saber to the health department when it was ti