Skip to main content

Followers

Symphony Shenanigans

 Being a mother of four (4) children is somewhat akin to how the movies portray multiple personality disorder.  With each child, you become invested in and cheer for their interests, goals, and desires - you take on a personality that aligns with that child.  With Elanor (my youngest), today was volleyball, and all things diva - as usual.  My son Jack (the lower middle child as he sometimes calls himself) was involved in robotics all day - another personality I sometimes don - total nerd.   But tonight, I dove deep into the world of music while spending time with my oldest, Rebekah (aka Boo to her mom).

October begins the month long birthday celebration for Boo.  She has played cello for over ten (10) years and has a serious passion for all things musical.  So tonight was the kickoff of birthday celebrations with attendance at the local symphony's opening gala.

Preparation actually started yesterday with dress shopping.  Oh - the pains of dress shopping.  First off, since COVID, half of the dressing rooms are closed.  And, the ones that are open are hot as heck, especially for a pre-menopausal female carrying armfuls of formals which feel like bags full of bricks.  In my 40's, it's surprising I can find anything that fits me in a way that makes me happy -  I am not that perfect size six I was in high school; I have more wrinkles; my arms are not toned enough; the color makes me look washed out; my butt looks big.  And, quite frankly, I might find the most stunning dress on my body when I try it on in the dressing room; but two hours later I can almost guarantee that same dress makes me look like a hippo.  Not exactly sensical to say the least.    I found a gorgeous, steel gray, sparkling gown.  And, score one for this mom - I picked out my daughter's emerald green gown as well - don't get jealous - normally everything I pick is "not her style."

Perhaps it's important to note that I am not exactly a social butterfly.  I'd much rather be a turtle if we are comparing ourselves to nature - keeping to myself - having a great shell to hide in at all times.  I love all things that don't involve crowds of people - like hiking in the woods, running by myself, reading a book.  Going to a gala dressed in a formal was not exactly my top pick of movies for the night.  But, that's the one Boo pulled off the shelf for this night, and so, as any good mom does, I shoved my feelings of insecurities about body image to the side and pressed on.  Today, preparations started around 2 pm with showers, then hair and makeup, and finally dresses, shoes, and jewelry.  And then I was blessed enough to be able to drive into downtown (heavy sarcasm intended), for a night on the town.  

In the end, we had a wonderful time at the symphony, despite my hesitations. 

The best part though?  When all was said and done downtown, we made an impromptu stop at the local taco joint for dinner - in our full regalia.  The tacos hit the spot - but when don't tacos fulfill every woman's needs - and the looks from staff and other diners kept Boo and I laughing throughout our adventure.  Will I remember the symphony?  Probably.  But, will I remember being in a formal dress eating tacos with my beautiful redhead at the local taco joint with all the looks and whispering going on around us - definitely.  In the end - I will remember that moment when these girls did that!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesecake Facials

 Today was day three (3) of the celebrations leading up to Boo's birthday.  I tried to think of one word that would describe it.  Messy - yes, that describes it, but it does not really explain the fun we had.  Crazy - well, that describes just about everything we do in my family.  Let's see if I can't tell the story and come up with a better word by the end of it. Moms are constantly put on the spot.  The plan going into today was to wake up, enjoy a nice cup of coffee and watch the sunrise over the lake, and then go our separate ways to school and work.  Well .... NOTE TO REDHEAD - there is a difference between the time for dawn and the time for sunrise , a fact which might have been overlooked by someone when scheduling this morning's celebrations.  Therefore, we aborted the original plans.   Jack and Boo came up with every crazy idea in the book to replace the original plan, and then tried to convince me each of their new ideas was a good idea.  Actually, come to th

Beauty and the Beastie

 One of my passions is definitely running.  It always has been .... always will be.  I put my headphones in and head off into nature to see what adventures await.  I find new trails and learn new ways to get from point a to point b - things I never would have learned without this time away.  It's also my time to connect with God next level style.  This morning, my German Shepherd woke at what I call the "bootie crack of dawn."  That phrase definitely hearkens back to my stricter days of religion where I was not allowed to say words like "butt" .... because "bootie crack" sounds so much more pleasant.  Please - don't ask for the logic - I have not found it.   My German Shepherd is officially named Mulan, after a Disney character, like all animals in my house.  She is about ten months old now, and we rescued her when she was three months.  One of her baby canines chipped and she needed surgery, so the breeder cut his losses and donated her to a local

Proud Momma of an Eagle Scout - and All Things Jack

This weekend, my son Jack, achieved Eagle Scout status.  We held an Eagle Court of Honor to honor him and his friend, David, and their accomplishments.  The whole thing seems like an out of body experience - I know, that sounds a bit dramatic - but let me explain and give a bit of history here. Every summer for the last two years, Jack has taught at a scout camp called Camp Kickthawenund.  While this camp is ultimately only about a thirty (30) minute drive from home, it feels like he is across the world.  This is not my favorite time of year. Jack is my baby boy.  Once, while riding his bike, he came upon a mound of ants on the sidewalk.  Jack stopped his bike (training wheels kept him upright - thank goodness for that), lifted his legs onto the handlebars of his bike, and began screaming uncontrollably....not the reaction this mother, nor any of the other mothers on the playground, expected!  Jack was my baby boy that would take his light saber to the health department when it was ti